School is not always the most fun place in the world for kids. Most kids find it difficult to wake up early for school. But playing school, and especially teacher-teacher is a lot of fun for them! My three year old used to remember the color of the dress of her class teacher. She used to wear the same colored dress for her teacher role play at home with her dolls. She used to teach them rhymes, numbers, and prepare them for performances. Initially we were little reluctant to let her play alone. With time, we figured that the role-play was really helping her improve. And that it was a learning rehearsal of her days task at school. The fun part was that she used to ask for snacks for her pupils for lunch break. As a mother my happiness was in receiving the empty snack box after the play!
“Playing teacher teacher is fun mamma”…till 5th standard she happily played the game. She used to mention class teacher as the “mother” in her class! I believe many parents go through the same experience with their kids, especially girls. Parents are the first teachers for kids. And as they enter school, they learn to depend more on their class teacher. They mimic the character, and treat teachers as role models. And this continues through primary, secondary school and college.
Here are five reasons according to me why kids love their teachers:
1. Trusted adult: At home, kids stay at the warmth of parents. They feel lost when they are sent to schools for the first time. But then they include class teacher in their comfort zone. They feel safe with her, and learn to trust her.
2. Storehouse of knowledge: Kids are curious. They love to learn new things. Teachers expose them to the wonder world full of new learning! Kids learn to admire and respect teachers as they are knowledgeable, and can guide them in their lust for the same.
3. Active listeners: Most kids like their teachers as they actively listen to them. Small kids wonder about a whole lot of things. The teachers pay attention to all their queries.
4. Caring and loving adults: The tiny tots receive a lot of love and affection from their teachers. This love and care is extremely important in providing a secure, safe and positive environment for the kids to thrive. As the kids grow, the expression of love and care may change. But the love and care remains.
5. Biggest Cheerers: The greatest joy of a teacher is in seeing the success of their students. They ensure that the students really learn what they need to. Whether the smartest or their weakest students, are all cared for and cheered on in their journey of learning.
“Playing teacher teacher is fun mamma”… when a kid takes up the role play of a teacher voluntarily and plays that ways for hours, we know that the kid really loves his/her teacher. And for a parent, it is extremely reassuring that the kid is in a safe, caring, and loving environment.